Arrival at the sand dunes 4:45pm. The drive took us to some of the most beautiful sand dunes of the deserts in Abu Dhabi. Upon reaching the dunes, we had the opportunity to experience the exhilaration of the one of the most popular sports in the desert - sand boarding! And no trip to Abu Dhabi would be complete without at least one slide down a sand dune. While we were there, we also rode a camel across the dunes. These animals are very patient and peaceful....Next up, DUNE BASHING... Usually the dune bashing in Abu Dhabi is done in a convoy of about 5 vehicles which is controlled by a group leader. This is done to avoid getting lost in the desert.
 |
| Ready to go sand dune bashing |
The real fun starts now. For a half hour or so, we were taken for the adrenaline pumping ride: up and down, cut & roll, slide and slip- rippling through the majestic sand dunes amidst gasps and shrieks, it is truly an experience and the best moments of my life!
Sun set approaching, we go to get down for a well deserved stretching of aching muscles, and to take deep, relieved breaths .We were also able to take beautiful photos of the sun setting behind the golden sands beyond the horizon.
 |
| My lovely dinner date, Mandy from New Zealand! |
The convoy of vehicles headed to camp sites where we had a traditional meal, a sumptuous and delicious barbeque dinner under the starry sky amongst slow beats of music wafting in from the sides. We then relaxed with the stars above and smoke flavored shisha. We could relax on low cushions inside traditional tents (known as majlis) or outside. I found the most humorous part of the trip at about 9pm, it was dark and the locals shut off all the surrounding lights and told everyone to look up. They all oooooed and awed at what they saw. I had to ask Mandy what they were looking at, she also didn't know what the big fuss was about. Maybe we missed something? Then the girl from across the table said, "Ladies, look at those stars! Brilliant! I never see stars like this in D.C." I guess being from Barrow/SD and New Zealand we take seeing the stars for granted.

What a blast! I'm so grateful to be here! I'm also grateful to have met Mandy today, she is really the first person that I connected with and can see a long term friendship in the making (she is also placed in AD)! I have decided I will send her to Barrow and she will send me to N.Z....Hmmm. I think I have the better end of the deal!
So in review, today....
 |
| We hopped on the back of camels... |
| | |
| We smoked shisha(flavored tobacco, smoked from a hookah) and came down with a case of the giggles(because it was our first time)hehe ... | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
 |
| We bashed the sides of sand dunes... |
|
 |
| We wore traditional dress (to take a picture!).... |
|
|
|
 |
| We were deathly terrified of dying or breaking something.... |
|
 |
| Most of all, we enjoyed our excursion into the desert! Did you know that Abu Dhabi is known for having the LARGEST sand dunes in the world? Imagine! |
|
 |
| See you next time! |
Soooo very interesting! You're fun to follow. I'm loving the contrast of pictures from last year(s)!!
ReplyDeleteAndrea....I am totally enjoying your blogspot!! Geography was always my favorite subject in Grade School, but it takes on a whole new level when it's your very own niece doing the commentary on a country, along with posting pictures that could easily be in "National Geographics" magazine!! Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with all of us!!! Love, BONNIE
ReplyDelete