Saturday, August 20, 2011

Enshallah!

Sand Dune Bashing

I’ve been in UAE an entire week. Where has the time gone? I’ve been bussed to the police department at midnight for fingerprinting … I’ve squeezed 150 teachers into a tiny 6-room, Doctor medical clinic for tests … I’ve opened our UAE bank account and learned to convert USD to AED … I’ve completed LOTS of paperwork and I’ve smiled for lots of ID photos but still don’t know where I'm teaching or what grade …  I’ve found out how much I miss text messages and Starbucks and I’ve learned that people eat without fast food and that most UAE drivers should not be allowed on the road! … I'm figuring out how to communicate with Arab speaking taxi drivers and still end up at the destination without being double-charged. I've learned the Emirati love their animal print, diamonds, incense, and sexy white Range Rovers.
This is my favorite girl, Mandy! She is so sweet and innocent!


I've also learned that my perception on how people dress has already changed. For instance, tonight Mandy and I went to the Ramadan Festival(a large market opened every night during Ramadan) and I saw a lady with a short skirts, a tight shirt and high heels. Usually this would not catch my attention, but today it did. I looked at Mandy, who was beaming and trying hard not to smile. Then she whispered in her thick New Zealand accent "scandalous!". Totally scandalous!

As we were leaving the ADNEC center, we both stopped and took a minute to analyze the place...we came to realize that we were completely surrounded by a sea of black abayas. Now that is something that makes you step back and think, WOW! I'm really in a different world!

Ravishing fountains decorating the streets of AD...


Above all, though, my first week has confirmed the peace that I have about knowing I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be, for a reason. It’s a phenomenal thing, living in-limbo in the midst of chaotic unknown, while experiencing life to the fullest by soaking up each moment of this “new world” as it comes…”Enshallah” as it’s called by these wonderful UAE nationals. Together, with a thousand other teachers from around the world,of all shapes and sizes, I look forward to admiring more ornate architecture, intricate abayas, and grandiose mosques as the moments allow.
The ripple effect...

During the next 2 weeks (I think), I’ll be moving out of my hotel and settling into my apartment, into a shared building with other ADEC teachers. In time I’ll also find out my school, curriculum, and classroom set up procedures. I’ll be getting a car, local drivers licenses, and learning some more Arabic. Hopefully with time will come the ability to sleep through the early morning call to prayer, which is broadcast throughout the country on speakers attached to the mosques.

My beautiful, stunning, magnificent city!

But, for this moment,I will eat and enjoy Brazilian dinner while my friends and families on the other side of the world are just waking up to a new day.


Enshallah

No comments:

Post a Comment