Monday, February 20, 2012

A child educated only at school is an uneducated child. --George Santayana 1

Latest update from the War Zone:
* I will be getting an Emirati student teacher in 2 weeks =) Thank you Jesus. I will take any help I can get. I know I am suppose to be teaching her, which I will try, but I seriously can't wait to find out what my students are talking about ALL the time...Their secrets will soon be uncovered!!!

*This week our school received booklets in Arabic and English, publishing the results of school surveys conducted in 2010. One of the most interesting statistics to me was regarding the education of principals in the UAE. 3% with Masters Degree, 80% with Bachelors Degree, and 17% with something less than a Bachelors. Anyone else see this statistic and find it as interesting as I did?

*How should desk be arranged in the classroom? This was a question that our principal and HOF found imperative to discuss during our Professional Development meeting. They made handouts, a powerpoint, and even researched the topic. They found an interesting research statistic from non-other than the TALIBAN. Yes, the Taliban have researched the best way to seat an audience so they will focus on the leader. Obviously, our principal knows we are working in a war zone as well...It's one of those things at school where you just shake your head and think, "Only in the UAE."

* My tedious efforts of fighting horrible classroom behavior has finally paid off, I was rewarded by the social worker today.
Received: one lollipop
Reason: I brought 2 kids to the office for putting each other in a choke hold(one kid turning blue) and punching the daylights out of each other. She thought I handled the situation well ( me bringing them to her and not putting them in timeout). HA!
Outcome: I ate my lolli for lunch and will probably take some more students tomorrow so I can get another =)
FYI: The reason I don't send the boys that are fighting to the social worker daily is because they will come back with a lollipop in hopes 'they will be better boys tomorrow, inshallah'.  Yes, let's reinforce that negative behavior.

*24 teaching days until I will be in India and Nepal.

*I'm A>D>D>I>C>T>E>D to Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment