Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oopsies and Oh My Gods

Vacation is definitely over. 44 days until my next vacation and I may have a full head of gray hair by then. Everyday the kids give me a run for my money...I sat here tonight reading my friend Andrea's blog about her week back (at a different school). I couldn't help but break out in laughter. I need to find that humor during the day when it is happening to me...She writes, "I could go on and on about my week back...the fire alarm is broken at the school so it goes off random times all day long. A kid next door pooped and tracked it across the floor in that classroom. A student today walked back into the class after going to the bathroom with nothing but his shirt on. I mean...truly there is never a dull moment!!!"
So.....lets see what I can share about this week at work. Here's a good one. So I have hall duty during recess once a week for 15 minutes. This consists of me going hallway area...sitting down for 15 minutes and watching what's going on. If a kid runs, I watch...a kid falls, I watch...a kid has candy, I watch...a kid hits another, I watch...a kid runs up the slide, I watch...a kid goes outside the building, I watch. I didn't understand this at first...I walked around, took candy from kids, guarded the doors, made kids sit on the wall or apologize for being mean..I quickly realized I was the only one doing this. Everyone else was simply sitting and watching. I wasn't going to be left out of this luxury...so there I am...if you can't beat them join them! Okay so Monday I go and sit down...I see some boys with candy & consider telling them to put it away but thought "eh, oh well nobody else cares so I don't then I watched the one boy finish his M&Ms and just throw the wrapper down. Again....first instinct (AND I THINK CORRECT INSTINCT) was to go over there have him clean it up and tell him I better not see it again. I considered it but decided to just sit there at the sand box. I was quickly shown that I made the right decision because all of the sudden out walks a bus lady from the doors right in front of me. She unwraps a candy, pops the candy in her mouth and drops the wrapper on the ground....those kids learn from the best of them!! HaHaHa...amazing! I mean after all the little ladies come out and clean after EVERY recess. It's crazy they sweep the sand off the sidewalks, even out the sand in the sand box, pick up the toys that are left out so I guess why not throw your trash on the ground!?
And another one...I have one boy in my class that is way above average compared to the rest. He is my little translator and role model. He speak English pretty well, knows his site words and loves to impress me by sounding out and reading new words. He was finished early and doing a vocabulary word sort. I put 3 or 4 letters in a bag, along with vocabulary pictures and words that correlate with each letter. He had finished the sort , called me over and about 11 others kids followed. He started naming all the "Ff" words, "Fork, five, falcon, fuck." hmmm Don't remember that last one but I know I think it alot at work. Couldn't help but smile at his serious little face..." That word is F-A-C-E." I guess we need to practice that A_E does not say "u".

Then my dilemma with my autistic problem child continues. He is back to destroying my room and disrupting my already corrupt lessons. My principal told me after school today as I'm holding him by the collar and he is kicking, trying to be dead weight and screaming "aw.aw. aw." in a high pitched tone like a bird that has been shot,  "Inshallah, we will get you help." No problem. Its already February, take your time. So today he comes in for 2 periods (he only lasted 50 minutes), continuously kicks my computer screen, breaks my computer desk, climbs up the shelving unit and throws EVERYTHING onto the floor, destroys students' work, rips down our underwater themed reading area, breaks numerous pencils (which are such valuable items), punches 2 kids in the face, stands on top of my desk and just screams "Oh MY GOD!" over and over, and tips over the water bucket we need to water the plants. I was on my last end...Patience had run out. I tried to make him draw some of our vocabulary pictures. I got him to sit, but I would give him the pencil, he would throw it over his shoulder and say "oopsy." I would give him another pencil, he would throw it over his shoulder and say "oopsy." It was kind of hilarious, while at the same time very frustrating because the other 24 students see him doing it and want to follow along. Finally, I decided I couldn't take it anymore and CARRIED him out of my room screaming and wallowing around. I took him to the bus ladies and asked them to take him to the office (as they are just sitting in a room doing nothing all day anyway). They say, "Why? Why he not in your room? Take him back." I just shake my head and leave him. About 10 minutes later I have the kids settled down on the carpet and we are practicing our site words when I hear a familiar shriek and thunderous footsteps coming fast. My door flies open and my little angel runs behind the door and is quiet and still as a mouse....2 minutes later I have 2 bus ladies come to my door frantically looking for "boy! crazy!!!!" All my kids are screaming his name and pointing to behind the door. hahah There were 2 of them and they had him for 10 minutes and he escaped... Maybe next time they won't question me.
I'll write more later when I can see the humor in some of it and actually laugh while I'm writing...right now I just think about it and it all irritates me because some days I feel like I am surrounded by %^&*, the things they do would just amaze you!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment