![]() | |||||||||
| My School-Saan Bin Obadah...An all boys primary school |
So, today was a blog-worthy day! It started at 8 am driving to Abu Dhabi Education Zone. There we were to pick up a simple letter with our school name. We(me and 5 other LT's) arrived at 8:30am, took a number-hmmm...467- and then waited as they were only on customer 63! After 10:30, I met up for the first time with Debbie, an American teacher at my school. We decided to try counter 10, a counter with no assigned customers. After 1 hour patiently waiting for the man doing 10 jobs at once, we got our letter (the normal line 3 hours later was at customer 239!) Debbie and I met up with another Saan Bin Obadah LT, Sally. Sally is formally from Vermilion (what are the chances I room with a Verm in Barrow and teach with a Verm in AD =)
Anyways, we grab a taxi and go on the search for our school. Sounds easy right? There are no address in AD, they use landmarks...However, there are no major landmarks in Bani Yas, which is a suburb. Two hours and 45 minutes later, after 3 taxi flag downs, 2 stops at other schools, a drink break, 500 roundabouts, 6000 speedbumps, a security guards directions in Arabic, simple English and several diagrams, we finally made it.
![]() |
| What it looks like being lost for 3 hours, poor Sadiq! |
This is our lovely taxi driver, Sadiq,who was ever so patient and persistent on finding the place. When we arrived he threw his hands up and proclaimed "THANK GOD!". We were all so relieved after 3+ hours in a hot cab! Did I mention Sadiq drives 14hours a day, 7 days a week! Can you imagine? This is a very, very typical schedule for drivers....
So back to school...When we arrived we were kindly greeted by Taha, our school's security guard.He eagerly learned all our names...I think I will forever be "Andree"..He showed us the classrooms, offices, and teacher's work room..All I thought is "I'm not in Barrow anymore." I have no doubt I will love working with everyone here. It will definitely be challenging. Our classrooms are not stocked with books, manipulatives, colorful posters, or technology, but I look forward to being creative again. That is what I miss most about having such a standard curriculum. I will have to learn how to teach wihout my computer...On the other hand, I may break down and buy my own projector! Our class size my range for 18 to 30+. I will also be co-teaching with an Arabic teacher. We are supposed to co-plan lesson but sometimes he/she does not speak English and god knows I do not speak an ounce of Arabic! One more challenge for the books!
Well, the time was almost 6pm...we decided to head back to the city. Taha gave us each a cartoon of milk for the ride home and wished "peace upon you". Once again, I achieved getting 2 things accomplished in a matter of an entire day, getting one letter and locating one building! In the U.S. this would normally take 1-2 hours. I will not complain though, I was getting paid =) And so the best part, pictures...Enjoy my new school!
![]() |
| A classroom ready to be filled with students and decorated... |
![]() |
| Commons area where we will meet for assembly every morning and where the students have recess. |
![]() |
| I typically teach using my computer/projector...now I will have a mini tv and an old school computer...time to get creative! |
![]() |
| The security desk at the front of the building....The security guard, Taha, is the only male in our school...Lucky guy =) |
![]() |
| Every wall (instead and out) has murals! |
![]() |
| Sally and Taha checking out the front office. I will be working with Sally, she is another South Dakotan. |
![]() |
| Our building is one large square, two levels...this is the center |
![]() | |
| I better get to work!!! |











No comments:
Post a Comment